SICK is launching its newest ultra-compact safety laser scanner, the nanoScan3. The nanoScan3 combines smart safety functions with measurement data quality for accurate and reliable localization.
With an overall height of just over three inches, the nanoScan3 can be used wherever machines and vehicles require maximum performance, but have minimal mounting space. This enables manufacturers to use small AGVs or mobile robots equipped with SICK’s safety technology.
Based on the microScan3 technology, the nanoScan3 2D safety sensor uses patented safeHDDM scan technology. This enables the nanoScan3 to hold up in harsh or challenging ambient conditions. It can also withstand interferences from dust, contamination, and ambient light.
Related: 6 common mistakes when setting up safety laser scanners
Here are some of the features of the nanoScan3:
- Small housing, measuring only 3.15 inches in height
- Two pairs of OSSD safety outputs
- Design suitable for industrial use and easy to integrate with standard M12 connectivity
- Up to 128 freely configurable fields and monitoring cases
- Direct static and encoder inputs for flexible monitoring case switching
- Protective field range of three meters with a scanning angle of 275-degrees
- High-precision measurement data output for navigation support via Ethernet interface
- Maximum detection reliability even when subject to challenging ambient conditions
- Intuitive Safety Designer software enables flexibility in configuration and diagnostics
With its small size, the nanoScan3 opens up potential applications where space is critical, such as in mobile intralogistics, collaborative robots, or mobile assistance and mobile service robots.
From a technical approval perspective, the nanoScan3 fulfills Type 3 according to IEC EN 61496-3, SIL2 according to IEC 61508, and SIL2CL2 according to EN 62061, Category 3, as well as performance level d according to EN ISO 13849.
SICK in 2019 launched its outdoorScan3. SICK claims the outdoorScan3 is the first safety laser scanner certified to IEC 62998 for use in outdoor applications. The outdoorScan3 allows AGVs to navigate safely through outdoor industrial environments.